Visitors

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Letter #12: Happy Birthday, Mr. Sedaris!

December 13, 2014


Mr. David Sedaris
Little, Brown and Company
237 Park Avenue
New York, NY  10017


Dear Mr. Sedaris:

It's been a while since I've written and for that, I do apologize.  A part of me wishes I could say I've been doing a ton of exciting things, and that's why I haven't been in touch.  But that would be dishonest.  And it'd make me sound like an insensitive clod.  Like I have all this super important stuff that requires my attention, and I don't have time for friendship.  That's just not true.  I mean, I have been busy, but not in a hellish, abnormal way.  My days are lively on purpose.

I checked my calendar on Thursday, and I noticed that your birthday is right around the corner.  Such a shame to be born the day after Christmas, although I'm sure by now you've grown accustomed to getting the shaft, gift-wise.  I bet you handle things with aplomb. There's so much about you that I admire.  Your ability to see benefit in less than ideal situations is certainly one of those things.

Did you buy a Christmas tree this year, or will you be traveling for the holidays?  I managed to get ours dressed for the occasion, but that's about it for me as far as decorating goes.  I may drag a few lights across the porch before the week is over, if I can find the big extension cord.  I know it's in the garage somewhere.

As promised, I am sending along some bunny slippers for your feet.  I hope you like them.  There's also a pair for Hugh.  I got you guys the same style in different sizes, so there won't be any fights.  Perhaps you can enjoy the bunny slipper experience together in the evenings.  That's what I do.  Just sliding into them at the end of an action-packed day helps promote a mindset of tranquility.  I'm not kidding.

Happy, happy birthday, Mr. Sedaris!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Yours truly,



Mary Killian

No comments:

Post a Comment