Visitors

Saturday, February 22, 2014

These Shoes

Some psychologists believe that children who have an intimate knowledge of their family's history are typically more well-adjusted and self-assured than youngsters who don't.  It only makes sense that understanding your past and knowing you belong to something bigger than yourself helps promote confidence and a more satisfying sense of purpose.

Even if what you came from was beyond nuts and may very well have contributed fundamentally to what made you half crazy to begin with.  Once you own it, it's all yours.  You can do whatever the fuck you want with it.  That's the gift.

My family and I do not speak often or get together frequently.  We've all grown up and have had lots of experiences.  Yet we still have each other.  Something wonderful is there.  Like an old pair of shoes, it feels worn and familiar.

I drove to the Bronx over the weekend because my Aunt Joan passed away.  I went to be with my cousins.  Like a child, I wanted them.  To spend time in their company and be exactly who I am.  To tease and joke and comfort and cherish.  To give and get some love.

Best funeral ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment