Visitors

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Nowhere Else to Go...


Occasionally when I write, the story is already intact and comes together with relative ease.  The details present themselves in a straightforward manner. There is a strong beginning, a compelling middle and a satisfying payoff at the end.  It is exhilarating to guide these accounts into the world, like a capable midwife on hand for a routine childbirth.

Other times, ideas are just floating around like the oddly shaped pieces to many different puzzles.  Removed from their original packaging and left in a big pile, emotions get complicated and need to be sorted out.  These operations can be risky, and I am not a surgeon.  I'm just a girl with a pen and a notebook, writing stuff down.  I remind myself that part of the joy comes from trying to figure out where everything goes.  Cool heads always prevail.

I appreciate the limitless potential of thoughts.  A tender memory, a clever idea, a life-changing experience.  With a little encouragement and guidance,  these musings can become something more.  Something worth documenting and sharing.  I like putting my feelings into words and guiding sentences along, building paragraphs that create the pictures I see in my mind.  It makes me happy to share something homemade.  I love every aspect of this creative process.

Here and there, I have to put aside the serious content and switch to lighter observations.  Just to regain some balance.  I don't live in the past, nor am I a futuristic goal-driven maniac.  I try to find a peaceful place between the things I have done and what I've yet to accomplish.  I seem to be making progress in the world, and I am generally pleased with the results.

This morning, I woke up really early and spent some time in quiet reflection.  I said my prayers and thanked God for all the wonderful blessings I enjoy as a faith-filled member of the human race.  The relationship I share with my Higher Power makes the difference in my life.  As I put myself in God's hands, I can only hope for the best.  I'm okay with knowing He's in charge.  I drank some coffee and started thinking about my breakfast.

As I was typing up these notes, I clicked on the image of this photograph.  I keep it on the desktop of my computer because I love it so much.
It's a picture of Rory Malcolm at the five month mark, a robust lad weighing in at roughly thirty pounds.  Gosh, he was enormous.  This snapshot remains one of the singular, most hilarious things I have ever seen.  Whenever I look at it, I like to imagine that he's just polished off a big roast beef sandwich.  That makes it even funnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment