Visitors

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Dream Big!

May 13, 2015



Mr. David Sedaris
℅ Catherine Cullen
Little, Brown and Company
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10104


Dear Mr. Sedaris:

It was such a pleasure meeting you recently when you came to Charlotte to read at the Belk Theater.  I was so excited for the opportunity to chat with you briefly after the show.  It has been a dream of mine since April of last year.  I practiced what I would say while I waited in line, so I didn't sound like a moron when I got my turn. I think I did okay.

After we met, I realized I didn't introduce you to my husband, David.  Perhaps you recall the nervous, hulking presence standing to my right.  He was wearing a purple shirt and holding all my stuff.  I briefly considered dragging him back over to the table where you were seated, signing books.  I know he would have loved meeting you as well.

Admittedly, I was a bit starstruck.  And our conversation was over before I really had a chance to think straight.  I felt kinda bad.  Dave did buy the tickets for your show as a Christmas gift, so I could actually see my dream realized.  I'm never that supportive of his dreams.  None of them are anywhere near as interesting or awesome as mine.

I apologized as we rode the escalator together toward the parking deck.  I found myself crying momentarily.  It was weird, but I was fine by the time I got to the car. I have a feeling I know why I reacted this way.  It was a great moment.  Meeting you has been one of the most inspiring experiences that's ever happened to me. Plus, you were kind and courteous and pleasant, just like I'd hoped.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Sedaris.  I do lots of cool stuff.  I have a terrific life.  But this was big.  I admire you a great deal.  I was also relieved to find out that my letters didn't freak you out to the point where you felt it necessary to enlist the help of an outside agency to beef up security on your tour.

Writing to you is fun, and I enjoy being your pen pal.

Love always,


Mary Killian  ox


No comments:

Post a Comment