Visitors

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Bridge The Gap

I turned to Desmond as we waited in line to ride the go-karts at Adventure Landing.

"Somebody lost their teeth," I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Over there."  I pointed into the pit, right below where we were standing.  "See them?"

"No.  Where?"

"Forget it."

"C'mon, Mom.  Show me."

I cupped the sides of his head with my hands and pointed it in the direction of the full upper bridge, just lying there quietly in the dirt.  A little pink and metal bracket with perfectly shaped molars and incisors, so lost and alone amid the grit and asphalt of the track.

"Straight ahead," I instructed him.  "How about now?"

Desmond is almost twelve.  He is a sensitive soul.  I could feel the muscles in his neck relax as his eyes adjusted to the dentures in question.

"That's the saddest thing I've ever seen," he whispered.

"I don't know about that, honey.  But it's probably right up there."

I thought briefly about the person who might have left these important food processing tools behind.  I mean, consider the troublesome pork chop or corn-on-the-cob.  What a nightmare.  Truth be told, I've walked away from lots of things so I realize it's possible.  But teeth are a big sacrifice.  I would have torn the place apart until I found them.

We turned to Rory, who at ten years old had never driven a motorized vehicle before.  He positively vibrated with excitement.

"Hey, Bro.  Look over there," Des suggested.  "See anything strange?"

It took the younger boy a minute to figure out what he was gaping at.

"Wow.  Somebody's teeth!  This is gonna be great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment